Monday, August 8, 2011

The Path of the Unknown...

                                                                                                 (Photo by Ashley Haseley)

Nine days till I leave for Chicago for orientation and sixteen days till I fly across the world to Malaysia.  How am I feeling?  I am still very excited and ready for this new adventure to begin. 

For the past few weeks, I have got to spend sometime with family.  For the first time in a long time, my older sister, my older brother, my little sister, my parents and I were able to get together, laugh and share old stories.  It is hard to get together with family the older we get, my sister has two kids (one five and one three…in a half I should add – and they both mean the world to me) and one on the way.  My brother has a demanding job that requires a lot of his time.  My younger sister is close to starting up school again. And we all live in different states.  I am very thankful that we were able to spend time together before I left.   I also was able to spend time with my grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. We were asked,  “What things will be the hardest to give up?”  Without taking the extra thought many of us relate to material things first because ideally those are things that we use daily and feel that we can’t live without, but now when I start preparing myself for this change, it is not the material things that come first to my mind, it is the people I love and care about the most. Family is very important to me and I am blessed with a great family – I will truly miss them.

Now that I have said my farewells to friends and family, this walk down this new journey is starting to begin.  The path of the unknown will be filled with challenges, surprises and a lot of new stories. 

More to come - Ashley

1 comment:

  1. I went and lived in China and taught English for a year. It was only a year, but leaving my friends and family made me appreciate them soo much more! You are going to have a great experience! Have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete